As for me and my house

"Choose for yourselves today whom you will serve... as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Name:
Location: Small Town, TX, United States

Hey! This blog is all about us and what God is doing in our lives!

Friday, May 23, 2008

Sew Fun!

We have a new past time at our house! I taught Sarah to sew on a button several months ago. She was wanting to know how to sew and since that is about the extent of my knowledge, I taught her everything I know! I gave her an old cloth diaper, some buttons and a needle and thread and 40 buttons later, she is still going strong. Every once in awhile, she will pick up her "button project" and sew for awhile. She has since taught her sister and brother the fine art of button sewing also!

The other day we were in Wal-Mart and I got the bright idea to try to come up with a project that she could actually start and finish that included lots of button-sewing. We looked at material, and buttons, and ribbon, and finally, as we wandered into the scrapbooking section, I saw something that sparked my imagination-- there on the front of a scrapbooking magazine was the cutest scrapbook page that included flowers and ....buttons! So, we decided we would make the "page" into a pillow top and make a pillow for her bed--- perfect! So now, we are learning how to stitch and sew a pillow all by hand (I don't have a sewing machine of course). And oh how I wish I would have paid my mom more attention when she tried to teach me these seemingly boring skills so long ago! It thrills me to have our three children sitting around me at the dining room table....sewing....wierd! Maya patiently and diligently sews button after button on the "button project", Benjamin sews on a button, takes it off, sews it back on again, then takes it off again because his favorite part is cutting the thread, and Sarah and I are working on her pillow! Who knew sewing was "sew" much fun?!

P.S. To our close aunties and Grandmothers: if this trend keeps up, I'll bet I can guess what you will be receiving for Christmas!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

Oh how fun! I love sewing buttons. That is the first thing I learned to sew as well and I remember sewing missing buttons on Bryan's shirts before we were dating! Ha! What an enjoyable time with your family though. Those moments are so priceless!

May 23, 2008 at 7:05 PM  
Blogger Dandy-lion said...

hm.... i have some pants that are in dire need of a button. the button fell off a month ago and i still haven't sewn it back on... maybe i could enlist your children's help!!! delighted to hear about the new sewing skills. they'll come in handy one day!

May 24, 2008 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Chameleon571 said...

What about uncles, can I have a button pillow also?

May 24, 2008 at 6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This past fall I taught Emma how to sew and she's, um, well, not-so-diligently working on a hand-stitched quilt to enter in the state fair in October. We gave her a sewing box for Christmas and it was, I'm happy to say, her favorite gift :) I can't wait for school to be out so she can really focus on stitching!

May 24, 2008 at 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home