As for me and my house

"Choose for yourselves today whom you will serve... as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Name:
Location: Small Town, TX, United States

Hey! This blog is all about us and what God is doing in our lives!

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Soup and Sandwiches

Did you know there are two different types of sandwiches you can have at our house? Along with a nice cup of tomato and basil soup you can have either a "girl" cheese sandwich or a "boy" cheese sandwich. Sarah started calling them this when she was all of two years old. Now, much wiser and word-savvy, the children have been asking why we don't prepare these sandwiches on the grill if they are called "grilled" cheese sandwiches!

I know it is getting to be summer and not really soup time anymore, but I found this great recipe and thought I would share it. I served it hot but by the time I actually got to mine, I found out it tastes great cold too-- so maybe it would work as a summer soup after all!

Roast Tomato-Basil Soup
2 cans (28 ounces each) peeled whole tomatoes, drained (reserve liquid)
2 1/2 TBSP packed brown sugar (or honey)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cups tomato liquid reserved from canned tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth
3 TBSP tomato paste
1/4 tsp allspice
1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
about 10 large fresh basil leaves, shredded
salt and pepper to taste

1. Roast tomatoes. preheat oven to 450. Line a cookie sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray. Arrange tomatoes on foil in single layer. Sprinkle with brown sugar and onions. Bake about 25 to 30 minutes or until tomatoes look dry and light brown. Let tomatoes cool slightly; finely chop.
2. Place tomato mixture, 3 cups reserved liquid, chicken broth, tomato paste, and allspice into slow cooker. Mix well.
3. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or on HIGH 4 hours.
4. Add evaporated milk and basil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook 30 minutes or until hot.

Of course you could also simmer it on the stove if you don't have a slow cooker but this is a nice way to cook without heating up the kitchen!

I have several friends who ask me for healthy recipe ideas so I will share recipes randomly as I come across great ones. I love to plan and cook food I can feel really good about my family eating! Enjoy!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home