As for me and my house

"Choose for yourselves today whom you will serve... as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Name:
Location: Small Town, TX, United States

Hey! This blog is all about us and what God is doing in our lives!

Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Rare Treasure

Our children are so blessed to have 2 sets of grandparents and 4 sets of great-grandparents who are still living! We lost Ryan's grandmother in 1997 (or 98?) but all of the other grandparents on both our sides are still living. What a blessing to be able to know and serve our grandparents in their older years! I love looking down at my children and then up at my grandparents and thinking of what a gift it is that they get to know each other. I am so thankful we live close enough to each of them to be able to spend quality time with them frequently. My grandparents were all born in 1928. What a different world they lived in! I love that God has given us the opportunity to hug and kiss and pick-on and look for ways to honor the older generation. Their memories and stories are better than any novel because they are so close to home. They are a precious part of who we are!

For several years I have longed to be able to spend quality time with each one of them and write down their life stories. I want to know who they were as a child, a mother, a wife. What they have learned from the Lord and from life. What their dreams and prayers were through the years. Struggles they had and how God has shown Himself faithful without fail. They have so much to give...I have so much to learn! I guess I feel like my time on this earth with them is running short and I don't want to waste a second of it! They are a rare and beautiful treasure.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

Hello, my sweet friend! I'm so glad we're getting back into more frequent contact! I love that you have a blog and we can keep up a little better with each other's families.

You're blessed to have so many family members still living. All my blood grandparents died before I was ever born. My dad's stepmom (who married his father when my dad was only 2) was my Grandma K, but she passed away just a couple of months before Ted and I got married. I did get to know Ted's maternal grandparents (his dad's folks had passed awhile back), but his grandpa passed away a few years ago.

Ted's dad died 3 days before Charis was born. So now we have Ted's mom, my parents, and Ted's grandma as the only living grandparents/great-grandparents for our children. We're so thankful for the godly heritage we have and for the hope we have in knowing we'll be together with those dear ones again someday!

May 18, 2008 at 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful aspiration, to record for your kids your history! We are going to be doing that this summer, actually.

I get a weekly email newsletter from www.currclick.com which is a homeschool store online. Every week they have freebies and a couple of weeks ago there was one on creating a notebook on grandfathers!

So this summer we will be spending time with both grandfathers, what better time to get moving on this very important part of the girls' history?

I'd be happy to send you the file, let me know if you're interested. It's really kind of neat.

May 18, 2008 at 8:38 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

It is such a blessing to have so many family members alive and in your children's lives! I was thinking the same thing just today when we were celebrating Kade's birthday. My grandparents were here to celebrate with us, and I love the relationship Kade has with them. Watching him run up to my grandmother and beg for her to pick him up so he can give hugs and kisses is so priceless!

May 18, 2008 at 10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home