As for me and my house

"Choose for yourselves today whom you will serve... as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Name:
Location: Small Town, TX, United States

Hey! This blog is all about us and what God is doing in our lives!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Some Little Things I Do...

We all know that the fewer decisions we have to make a day, the more energy we have for other things-- such as chasing after disobedient dogs or cleaning up after countless un-scheduled messes!
So, here are a few little things I try to do to help make each day run smoother with fewer decisions to be made on my part:

*  Breakfast-- if we are having steel cut oats or oats of any kind the next morning,  I will soak my oats overnight so that when I cook them the next day, they literally cook up in about 5 minutes.  (This of course also infers that I have decided the night BEFORE what we will be having for breakfast the next day-- wha la!  I'm feeling more energetic already!)

*  I try to make sure my kitchen is in order before I hit the hay no matter how tired I may be.  This allows me to begin my day fresh (and without the hassle of having to wash this or that pot before I can cook or having to step all over last night's dinner as I traipse around the kitchen first thing in the morning-- plus, having a toddler around, it also means he won't be able to EAT any of last night's dinner for breakfast!)

*  We don't live by too much of a routine around here, which would help immensely with the issue at hand but I have found that God is able to bring sanity to my life even considering our crazy schedule.  I start each day seeking His guidance, help and strength for whatever the day holds.  This may seem a no-brainer but I have come to see that it was really when I couldn't depend on a schedule to keep me sane that I began to depend on HIM more fully.  "Lord teach us to count our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12

*  I was given a jewel of a book entitled, "Fix, Freeze, and Feast".   It is by Kati Neville and Lindsay Tkacsik.  In it, these gals guide you through how to buy, fix and freeze in quantity so that you have HEALTHY, pre-made meals all ready in your freezer.  I LOVE this!  It actually takes very little time and I have already been able to reap great time benefits from this concept.  Instead of making a batch of whole wheat cheddar biscuits for one meal, I make 6 times the amount of dry mix.  I then add milk to one batch, roll it, pat it, mark it with a ......oh sorry, I digress.....and put the other 5 batches in individual size bags in the freezer.  This way, the next time I am in a hurry with dinner or breakfast or whatever, all I have to do is to pull out a HEALTHY premade mix, add milk, roll it, pat it, .....you get the idea!  I do this with muffins for breakfast and cornbread too.  Anytime I want to make a special bread for any meal, the HEALTHY premade mix is all ready and waiting for me.  And if you want to make this a really fun family project, get the kids involved too!  We have had a "ball" making 300 meatballs at one time!  Everyone gets in on the action and soon the freezer is filled and everyone has had a hand in helping out with random meals for the next few months.  I have also began making my own red sauce (spaghetti sauce) and cream of mushroom soup this way.  I make a huge batch one day and then freeze them in two cup sizes so that all I have to do is take my HEALTHY sauces out of the freezer when I want to use them. 

I have always bought meat in bulk, because it is usually cheaper to do so, but now, I also go ahead and marinate my meat before I freeze it!  That's right.  So instead of having four packages of chicken thighs in the freezer that I have to remember to get out of the freezer to defrost and then decide what I want to do with it and then actually still have plenty of time to do it, I now have:  orange chicken, teriyaki chicken, pecan-crusted chicken and plain ole' BBQ chicken ready and a-waiting for the day it will be chosen to grace our table for dinner.  And, not only do I have one package of each of these menu items ready and waiting, but I have three sets of each since I made all the marinades in bulk too of course!    If you can't tell, I LOVE this new way of thinking and preparing.   I was really surprised at how little time it really takes to prepare three or more meals compared to one!  The kitchen is already messy, the supplies are already out, the kids are all there ready and willing to help out-- all I have to do is plan ahead a little and remember to buy double or triple or whatever the amount of ingredients I will need ahead of time (which also infers I have somewhat of a menu plan and a grocery list which are also incredible time and energy savers!)

I certainly wasn't planning on spending this much time and space writing out all these delicious details but I am really weird and I just get so excited about this kind of stuff!  I mean, what else do I live for then to love and honor my husband (which I can do better if I have more energy--but we will save THAT discussion for another day!),  love and train my children (again...the more energy thing), and be a godly manager of the home God has given me to oversee?  This IS my life! 

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

You go Momma! Living example of the Prov 31 woman...an expert manager of her home.

January 13, 2011 at 2:47 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I want the french onion soup recipe you made at Thanksgiving. Also, if you get a chance, send me a few of your fave frozen meals. You've inspired me...I've started making my breakfasts and lunches for the whole week on Sunday, so I am not rushing around in the mornings trying to get it all done before work (which has left me feeling more "relaxed" during my morning devotionals!) This past week, I made a large amount of scrambled eggs mixed with bell peppers, onion, turkey sausage, mushrooms, cheese, etc., and ate on it all week...all I had to make was the toast to go with it.

January 16, 2011 at 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home