As for me and my house

"Choose for yourselves today whom you will serve... as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Name:
Location: Small Town, TX, United States

Hey! This blog is all about us and what God is doing in our lives!

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolution

"Resolution", according to the 1828 edition of the American Dictionary of the English Language by Noah Webster, is "a fixed purpose or determination of mind; firmness; steadiness or constancy in execution;  implying courage."

As a general rule, I avoid making a New Year's Resolution.  Something about doing what everyone else is doing goes against my nature.  I noticed this at Thanksgiving as well.  Everyone on FaceBook was posting things they were thankful for each day of the month.  What a great way to practice the Lord's command to "be thankful in all things--for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus"  (1 Thess. 5:18)  Not me.  I decided to post things I wasn't thankful for.   I  would just post a word like, "old lightbulbs" or "throw up".    So it was my clever joke on everyone between myself and ......well.....myself.

And I well remember the time in High School when I was in the Gillespie County Fair Queen contest (I still don't know what in the world motivated me to do this so don't ask) and because everyone was getting all dolled up and dressing like a beauty pageant contestant, I decided to come as something original....originality is what the world wants right?   Wrong.  Although no one laughed in my face as I bounced onstage in a cute little get-up that no one else would be caught dead in, I certainly lacked the composure and elegance of the rest of the girls....that was original right?  And that definantly took courage--or was that just social oblivion?     I was sure that because I was daring to be different and was "friendly" and "cute" the judges would see that as "fresh" and "original" and decide I was just who they needed to represent them that year as "Miss GCFQ".  Wrong again.

There are countless other memories I have of going against the grain.  If the world is doing it, you can bet I will NOT be doing it....or at least I will fight it as long as I can.

So what does all this have to do with "Resolution"?  As everyone else in the country is making their "New Year's Resolutions" I have been thinking about the things I HAVE BEEN resolute in the past few years.  Is there any one thing that I have shown "a fixed purpose or determination of mind" about?  Is there anything that I have been "steady or constant in executing"?   And this is my challenge for myself.  To focus on the things God says we are to be resolute in and them execute them constantly and steadily....with courage.  Especially when no one else is doing it!  I can see how God can use this character trait of mine to go against the grain in order to stand for Him....if indeed I remember that THAT is what God would have me use it for. 

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

Cracking up at this personality trait of yours. It makes you so special and I love it about you! Wise words about what to be "resolute" about too. Btw, you should be a writer....

January 11, 2011 at 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home